On August 25, 1925 – The cornerstone of the original complex was laid. It was placed on the north side of the first residence hall that was later named Egan Hall. According to newspaper accounts, more than 2,000 attended the event. Bishop John Mark Gannon presided. The cornerstone reads, “Mercyhurst.” On a second side of the building, the stone reads, “1925.”
The Archives first project was digitizing The Merciad which is the paper of record for the university. The Merciad is now available from 1929-1990 and can be accessed by going to archives.mercyhurst.edu and clicking the drop-downs on the right side of the page. In the coming months, 1991-present will also become available.
All of the digitization is being done on the new Epson 12000XL high-resolution scanner. Without this scanner, it would not be possible to make the collections in the archives easily accessible to the Mercyhurst community and public. The scanner has already helped to digitize two collections. New content coming online thanks to this new hardware addition.