Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
First Time User Information
To request an item through Interlibrary Loan, you must be identified as a member of the Mercyhurst Community in the library's ILLiad system. To do this, log in for the first time and register.
Registration has three purposes:
- Entering your information into the ILLiad system means you will not resupply the information when making future requests.
- Having your e-mail account on file with Interlibrary Loan enables us to notify you promptly and deliver materials accurately when your request arrives in the library.
- Please be aware that only you know your password - we do not.
- If the material you have requested is owned by our Library, we will cancel your request and help you access the requested material in our collection.
- Delivery time is dependent on the library sending the material, the availability of the requested material, and the accuracy of the details of your request. Requests are usually processed within 1-2 business days when classes are in session. ILL books can take at least one week to arrive. Journal articles usually arrive within two days, but can take up to one week to arrive. Weather conditions may effect delivery.
- You will be contacted via your Mercyhurst email when items arrive. The email address you enter must be your Mercyhurst University email address. Please do not use outside email addresses.
- Articles may be delivered directly to your ILLiad account (Electronically Received Articles) and stored for 20 days. Delivered articles should be downloaded and/or printed upon receipt.
- Books must be picked up and returned to the Hammermill Library. You will get an email notifying you that the ILL book is ready to be picked up. Books have a loan period anywhere from two weeks to one month.
- Materials not returned by the due date or recall date may result in the patron's ILLiad and library account being blocked, and fines being assessed.
- Renewal of books must be done by you from within your ILLiad account. Some lending libraries do not allow renewals, you can only renew a book one time, and you have to submit the renewal before the book is due.
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a
service provided for current Mercyhurst University students, faculty,
and staff by which materials not owned by the library are obtained from
other libraries. There are no costs associated with placing an
ILL request. The library covers the costs of select item requests and
shipping cost. ILLiad is the system that manages your ILL
requests. Using ILLiad you can track the status of your requests, check
due dates, renew checked out materials, and view your ILL borrowing
How to Renew ILL Book
Renewal of books must be done within your ILLiad account.
Renewals are subject to approval by the lending library, and you only get one renewal per book. You must request the renewal before the due date by following these steps:
1. Log into your ILLiad account.
2. Choose CHECKED OUT ITEMS from the menu along the left side
3. Click on the TRANSACTION NUMBER of the book you want to renew
4. Click on RENEW REQUEST located in red at the top of the screen